While I continue to explore length and breadth of India, I met an interesting man who inspired me to write this post. He helped me to rediscover India with a different perspective, with its great history. He told me few interesting facts which made me dig further to awaken to the below amazing facts about India.
- India is world's oldest, largest and continuous civilization.
- Number Zero was invented in India by Aryabhatta.
- Plastic Surgery was first performed in India by Acharya Sushrut in 600BCE.
- Nagarjuna was world's first wizard of Chemical Science which has its roots in 100BCE.
- When most of the cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization).
- Sanskrit is mother of all the European Languages. Matra in Sanskrit becomes mother in English, bhatra becomes brother, trikonamiti becomes trigonometry. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software - a report in Forbes magazine July 1987.
- Nalanda university, located in Bihar, India, was one of the world's first residential universities. The great library of Nalanda University was so vast that it is reported to have burned for three months after the invaders set fire to it.
- Chess was invented in India.
- India has largest pool of scientists, doctors and engineers in the world.
- India is largest English speaking nation.
- According to Tom Standage of The Economist, India currently has daily newspaper circulation of 110 million copies which get published in 21 different languages.
- India is the only country other than US and Japan, who has built a super computer indeigenously.
- The Baily Bridge is the greatest elevation in the world. It is is located in the Himalayan mountains, in the Ladakh Valley in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Yoga has its origin in India and is existed for more than 5000 years.
- India was one of the richest countries until the British rule in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus, attracted by India's wealth, had come looking for a sea route to India when he discovered America by mistake.
- Acharya Kanad was the pioneer expounder of realism, law of causation and the atomic theory nearly 2500 years before John Dalton.
- Acharya Charak has been crowned as the Father of Medicine
- Martial Arts was first originated in India, and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries.
- Kumbh mela is considered to be world's largest peaceful gathering with over 100 million people visiting in 2013.
Incredible India, isn't it?